
Music discovery plays a significant role within my life. Sometimes this requires me to look at how the music of today was created. By looking at the past I could learn about the foundations that great musicians formed for modern artists. While listening to music of the 1950's I was amazed at how inspirational this music was at the time. By listening to such music as Elvis Presley and Earl Flatt and Lester Scruggs & the Foggy Mountain Boys I could see their influences in modern music. Some people may think, Earl Flatt and Lester Scruggs & the Foggy Mountain Boys who are they? After listening to a lot of Country music as a child I could definitely hear their influences within modern Country Music. Although modern Country music sounds much different, the core of most songs is the same as Earl Flatt and Lester Scruggs & the Foggy Mountain Boys. Even some of the songs written by Earl Flatt and Lester Scruggs & the Foggy Mountain Boys resemble many country songs lyrically.
I am currently listening to a handful of folk and country bands and could hear banjo playing extremely similar to that of Earl Flatt and Lester Scruggs & the Foggy Mountain Boys. It's amazing how transformational their music is. Being so transformational and inspirational says a lot about a band. Listening to their music truly repres
ents country living to me. With such songs as You Are My Flower I feel as if though I was transported back in time to a place in the west or the southern United States.

Its amazing to listen to such bands as the Avett Brothers and hear the transformation of Earl Flatt and Lester Scruggs & the Foggy Mountain Boys's music into the modern day. It seems as if people during the 1950’s laid the groundwork for our world of today. Innovation with musicians during this period of American history is astonishing. The 1950’s may have been a long time ago but it will never be forgotten. Listen to the samples provided below and see how the music evolved for yourself.
Image Credits:
Image 1: http://www.flatt-and-scruggs.com/lesterbio.html
Image 2: http://scratchyattic.blogspot.com/2009/01/flatt-scruggs-on-radio.html
Image 3: Christian Santarelli (c) 2011
The Avett Brothers - January Wedding
Flatt and Scruggs - You are My Flower
3 comments:
Good job bringing this forward with the Avett Bros, who I never really thought of as "bluegrass" until your post. Is the Flatt and Scruggs YouTube thingy supposed to have pictures?
Thanks for the feedback! No it was just a stagnant picture so I only embedded it as the player controls to save on space. I didn't want to clutter the post up with unnecessary stuff.
I like Avett brothers and I'm glad that you post it on the blog. They are closer to country music that folk I feel like....but I still like to listen to them.
Post a Comment