Sunday, April 10, 2011

"Talking Spirits" and "Sex in a Box"

The 1960's was a historic decade for board games. With the advent of children spending more money, board game manufacturers upped their ante by producing more increasingly more creative games. Board games such as Twister and Ouija were invented in the 1960's and are still sold today.

Twister was a sensation in the 1960's. Such a sensation that competitors were calling it "sex in a box". The controversial game was the first board game to make use of someones entire body. For the first time there was a party game where the only pieces to it were your body. The game was even more of a sensation at college campuses. As more teenagers were experimenting with drugs such as marijuana and LSD they were also experimenting with their bodies. Twister enabled teens to experiment with their bodies in a seemingly "harmless" way. When the game was featured on late night talk shows like Johnny Carson's show the game became a household name. The game was so simply designed that manufacturer Milton Bradley could produce it at such a low cost and produce even larger profits. Because of the games low production costs Milton Bradley spend large amounts of money marketing the game. After the game became extremely popular, people were seeing the games potential "sexual connotations". Since these "connotations" were essentially true many retailers such as Sears began to take the game off their shelves. This game was so revolutionary for its time that not just kids were having fun with it but so were adults. A simple game that was fun for both parents and kids sent shockwaves in the board game industry.

Another revolutionary board game that was released in the 1960's was the Ouija board. Less of a game and more of an experiment, the Ouija board continues to "connect" people to the "spirit world" to this day. The board is "supposed to" let you communicate to the spirits of the dead by just asking them any question. The game is played by two players placing their fingers on planchette, then they ask the "spirits" a question which they are seeking an answer too. The spirit supposedly answers by spelling out its answer on the letters printed on the Ouija board. In able for the effect to work the players must "believe" that the board truly works. After many years of scientific research the spirits are no other than something called "ideomotor effect". This is a "psychological phenomenon wherein a subject makes motions unconsciously" and thus causes the planchette to move around the Ouija board. The Ouija board is still around today despite it being debunked by the scientific community.

Since both of these board games are still being sold today I think it testifies just how creative and revolutionary they are. Most board games come and go but these two are such classics that will probably be continued to be sold for decades to come.

Image Credits:

How To's:

Twister

Ouija


9 comments:

Zachary Bankz said...

Well, after reading this blog I never thought of these games being so controversial. But, great job! I love how everything flowed, I was done with your blog, but felt like I got every questioned answered. Great use of links and videos. Good Job man!

Tess said...

I agree with Zack- I never thought that these innocent, children board games could be thought of in a negative way like that. However, after reading your blog entry I see where the people of the time were coming from. Twister and Ouija Boards are very interesting and controversial topics. I think they are harmless and fun and the games are obviously timeless; for as you stated, they are still sold in stores today.

Steven ng said...

This a very interesting topic. Before I read this, I think twister is a game for children and for people to have fun. I never know that twister was causing so many discussion in the 1960s. In my opinion, Twister is only a game for people to relax and have fun.

Anonymous said...

Christian, though this article did not exactly touch on the music we covered in class, I loved the topic. It was very interesting. I had no idea the board games I play today had roots in the sixties. I was also unaware that Twister had such sexual connotations. You did a great job of explaining how these games fit into the sixties culture. Very good post.

Jake Baker said...

Awesome topic! Twist has always been one of my all time favorite games, and now to learn that it was this popular 50 years ago is super interesting. I always realized that twist was a sexual game but I never took it that seriously as they did in the 60's. Also, though I have never played Ouiji, it is definitely interesting that there is a term for when players move the piece. These games are definitely fun and safe.

Zach Groner said...

I love the name for the title. I always thought of the games being popular even 50 years ago and from reading this you did a great job explaining it. I like how you talk about Twister and how it has a sexual background. Great job I agree strong with your points.

Ty Linde said...

I think this was a great topic to pick, because it immediately made me want to read it. I never realized that twister was created as such a sexual game, because now people just see it as a fun game with no meaning. I liked the video's and the pictures, It kept me interested in reading. I think this was one of the best blogs.

Ethan Lewis said...

Interesting, Christian. But the Ouija board was patented in the 1890's, and was popular in America for decades before the 1960's.

Unknown said...

While that is true the game received immense popularity when the "father" of the Ouija board William Fuld "sold the entire business to Parker Brothers, who continues to hold all trademarks and patents.".

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © The Bird is the Word
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Sponsored by Internet Entrepreneur